“I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.”
– Mother Teresa

Psalms 146:5-10

Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD their God. He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them— he remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves the righteous. The LORD watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked. The LORD reigns forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations. Praise the LORD.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hope House Kids

Hello Everyone!
So, I've been in Gabon for about two and half weeks and already I've seen glimpses of just how big God is. I've seen and heard things that are impossible, seen God do miracles! In coming to Africa I was forced to open my eyes, I couldn't just keep God in my American box. Instead I was seeing Him in a whole new and different light, one without the limits of just what I knew. And it doesn't matter how long I stay here I still won't fully understand how big God is. I am just blessed to be able to see and start to understand pieces of His Majesty.

A lot has happened in the past week and I have a few particular moments I'd like to share, but I'll give you a quick run down first. This past week was a little more low key since we were all a little tired from the week before. I went to the clinic a couple times, went to a sort of super market ( it was indoors and clean!!), walked on the beach, went to Hope House a couple times, we had a movie time, our bible study night, we went to PK 27 and took out the four wooden post frames that we had made with the team, had dinner at Pastor Jacobs, Church this morning, packed for Bongolo, and tomorrow bright and early (actually it might still be dark and early) we leave for Bongolo. I know I'm forgetting a couple things..... OH! When we were all watching Despicable Me (yes, that was our movie choice) we enjoyed a delicious treat called Magnum bars. Which are THE best ice cream bars I've ever had. Sorry, you have to come to Africa to try them:) And on a side note most of the food here is more expensive so things like ice cream really are a treat. I mean you usually don't spend $14 when you want some Ben and Jerrys....lol

Okay, the first story I want to tell is something I witnessed at the medical clinic. Olivia and I were helping the with the exams and got to hear an incredible moment of God's healing. The woman was there to have results read from a sort of X-ray test and thus her story started. A few days prior she had come in with a large mass in her stomach. She was sent to have X-rays taken of it. Well, before she had the chance to go in she had a strange dream. She was sleeping and in her dream someone put what felt like paper on her stomach and it shocked her. It made her jump in dream because she could feel something happening. Well, when she went in to get her X-rays the doctor couldn't find the mass and told her that there was nothing there. So, she came back to the clinic with her results to make sure that the mass was gone. We checked and the mass was completely gone!!! God had healed her in just a couple days! We then had a chance to pray with her and praise God for the miracle!!

Another thing I'd like to share about is the Hope House and the children there. The House is run by a pastor and his wife who have made it their mission to rescue neglected and abandoned orphans. They currently have about 30-40? children in their home. These kids have some really hard and heartbreaking pasts, they grew up in terrible homes but now they have a good home and a family and they know their Savior loves them each dearly! Yesterday, (Saturday) we went over to the Hope House for a little bit and while we were there the kids gave us an amazing presentation. They started off with a sort of dance battle which was SO much fun to watch (Olivia took some videos which I'll add at some point) and then they sang for us. All I can say is that they may be some of the most talented children I've ever seen. They had a full acoustic musical track going just by banging their hands on a table. They were doing all sorts of super cool dances moves all of which they'd just taught themselves.They memorized huge chunks of songs they created. It was just amazing! And they all were having so much fun doing it. You watched each child light up as they came together and did this presentation for us. It was really such a special moment!!!

I'd love to keep sharing stories but it's getting late over here and I have to get up in six hours. I won't have my computer in Bongolo but as soon as I get back I will updated about my trip! It should be a lot of fun! A seven hour drive on a public transport through CRAZY roads:)

I miss you all and am so glad that I can share a little bit of my experiances in Africa with you!

Love,

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment