“I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.”
– Mother Teresa

Psalms 146:5-10

Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD their God. He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them— he remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves the righteous. The LORD watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked. The LORD reigns forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations. Praise the LORD.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Bongolo Hospital, Easter, English Tests, and Gilmore Girls

Psalm 145
 3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise;
   his greatness no one can fathom.

 9 The LORD is good to all;
   he has compassion on all he has made.

13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
   and your dominion endures through all generations.  
The LORD is trustworthy in all he promises
   and faithful in all he does.

18 The LORD is near to all who call on him,
   to all who call on him in truth. 


I've been spending a lot of time in the Psalms since I've been in Africa. There is something about Africa that opens your eyes to God's greatness. You no longer see Him with just your American eyes but instead you see Him as the creator of nations. Somehow, when you look around He appears different. The way He made the trees, the clouds, the animals, the people, the ocean it's all unique to Africa. Yet as you look at each of His masterpieces you can't help but see the same God. One who is full of love, hope, compassion, a God who has a plan for each part of His creations and promises an everlasting Kingdom to His precious children. A Father who give protects, comforts, and blesses us and who is faithful and good. When I start to think about all that God is, I can't help but be in awe and overwhelmed with just how great and holy He is. And when I try to comprehend even one aspect of His being, I can't. He is so much beyond anything we could ever understand so much larger and more powerful than we could begin to fathom. I wish that I could see Him in all of His glory and I know that I will one day.  But for today, I can't help but be humbled and my heart full of praise and worship for them mere speck of sight and understanding that I have been given. And I will lift His name high!

Libreville, Gabon 
Week 3&4 (April 17th-29th)

I realize that it's been awhile since I last posted a blog and I apologize. I know many of you enjoying hear what God has been doing in Africa and much as I look forward to telling you. I have just been really busy and didn't have the access to a computer for awhile. I hope that this post will fill you in on a little of what has been happening these past two weeks. I miss you all and I am so excited to be coming home soon! I really can't do any justice to what has been happening here over the computer so coming home will be a chance for me to share the many stories and experiences that I've been a part of.


Bongolo
Last week we took the Lewans (Dan and Alicia) down to Bongolo and helped them move into their new house. They will be running the Envision Center there by Bongolo Hospital. Monday the 17th Hannah, Alicia, a doctor (who had just flown in the night before) and I took a public bus to Bongolo. Leanne, Olivia, Dan, and J.R came in the Land Cruiser the next day. Our bus was packed full (and I do mean packed:) with people and luggage. We left Libreville at about 8:30AM and arrived at a little after 6pm. Over all it was a pretty smooth trip. We were only stopped twice by the police and only one of those times did we have to wait while they sorted someone's papers out. The ride was really nice given the state of the roads, which are very Gabonese...lol, stretch after stretch of giant potholes and small canyons.

While we were in Bongolo not only did we help the Lewans move into their new place but we were also able to reconnect with and get to know many of the doctors and missionaries at the Hospital. It's a pretty tight group, which can be expected when you are surrounded by jungle. We were only there for about  4 1/2 days but on one of those days Olivia and I had the opportunity to visit Bongolo Hospital. After I'd been given a tour we were shown into a surgery room and allowed to watch two surgeries. Olivia had been to Bongolo before but this was both of our first times seeing surgeries preformed first hand. We were given scrubs, hairnets, and masks and told to avoid touching anything that had been sterilized and then we watched the surgeries  and took pictures. It was really an incredible experience. The first surgery we saw the doctors put a shunt into a hydrocephalus baby. Before we came into the surgery room a friend (and nurse) of ours Lisa, told us what was going to be going on and asked us if we both thought we could handle it (they don't really want people passing out in there). Olivia had been looking forward to watch surgeries for awhile as she is considering a career in the medical field and I really felt like this was something that I should see. At first seeing the baby asleep on the surgery table was a little overwhelming. I couldn't help but realize how fragile life is and without even realizing it my heart was going out to this baby. But then I started thinking about how God is always in control of every situation and how He alone controls our destinies. This baby was going to be given a chance to live and God was there in that moment and there in the child's future. Suddenly, instead of sadness I felt full of joy and excitement for what was about to happen and I watched in awe of all that one surgery was going to change. The second surgery was on an older man and he was having his thyroid taken out. During this surgery we were able to get up pretty close and watch the doctors and they slowly burned and cut through his skin. I actually found myself fascinated by what they were doing. Not that I would ever be able to do something of the sort but I definitely appreciate doctors a lot more now!!  And I am very thankful for the doctors at Bongolo, both the American and Gabonese who work under such limited and hard conditions. Doing so with joy instead of complaints They really are God's workers!!

I also really enjoyed getting to spend time with two missionary kids (Luke and Sarah Thelander) while I was there. We spent an afternoon playing games, another dying Easter eggs, and an evening playing Jenga and eating yummy food at a party hosted by our friend Lisa (an American nurse whom I got to meet in Libreville my first night in Africa). We also got to send some time with a few christian boys who've become friends with many of the Bongolo Hospital workers. We had the opportunity to hear about the education system in Africa and many of trials they face when they graduate and try to go to a university. About how hard for a christian to have a good job and to feed their families because of the foothold the devil holds on many secret groups that hold power here. After telling us how they probably won't get to become pilots, and computer engineers, or see other dreams they have come true they reminded us that with God anything is possible and they pray constantly for what seems impossible!

After saying goodbye Saturday morning to Dan and Alicia we headed back to Libreville in the Land Cruiser. I started getting carsick right away but after pulling over, taking some motion sickness medicine, and rearranging I was okay for the rest of the long trip. We stopped at the Equator on the way back and I did take a picture with the big sign. Other than the sign though there really is nothing that would let you know that you are passing over the Equator:) The roadsides are always filled with wandering animals (lots of dogs and goats) and on the way home we played a fun game that included counting how many animals we saw. It was made more challenging by the fact that you lost half of your animals every time the other team spotted a grave on your side of the road....which was pretty frequent. It seemed like as soon as I would reach 40 I would loose half of my animals every time:) We got back to the Envision Center and pretty much crashed. We also found out that we didn't have internet. That stayed off for three days I think.


Easter
So, this past Sunday was Easter! Here in Africa they call it Paques (pronounced "pack"). It's not quite as big of a deal here as it is back in the states. And other than in the church I didn't really see many people celebrating it. Though everyone does celebrate Easter Monday, which is really just a holiday from work.

Anyway, we started Easter off by going to a church that is right down the road. It was crazy how even after the building and chairs were filled there were still a ton of people sitting outside in the sun listen and praising God. We started off with worship, which I love! The African people definitely have hearts of worship, every time you hear them sing or see them dance it's obvious to everyone just how much they love the Lord! I was so excited when we sang one of the few African songs that I know, I was dancing and turning right along with everyone else!! The sermon was on the historical and prophetic meanings behind Easter and from what I understood (Olivia translated bits of the message for me because it's of course completely in French), it was really encouraging and just an awesome reminder of who our God is. We also had baptisms and child dedications which made me think of Easter back home. After the service was over we were all dismissed by rows and as you left the building and went outside everyone was waiting to greet you. It was pretty cool.

After church we went over to the Straws (Steve Straw is the pilot for Bongolo Hospital and they also run the guest house here in Libreville), we all went out to lunch and then walked on the beach together. It was a lot of fun! We had lunch at a place called Beach Burgers which is literally an old van turned into a restaurant. The beach is always beautiful with the sky, the ocean, and the feeling of the sand under your feet. I thought it was a great way to end a special Easter here in Africa.


OSPAC and English Tests
Yesterday, we all went out to OSPAC for the day. It was great to be back at the clinic and with all the people who work at there! Getting smothered in hugs and hellos is always a great way to start any day!! And at OSPAC you can expect a big welcome every time. I helped at the Pharmacy table, counting out pills with the help of Mama Perrine. Later after lunch I went outside and play with some of the village children who were hanging around the medical clinic. They became my little shadows for the rest of the afternoon:) After closing up OSPAC we gave an English test. It was a lot of fun just being a part of something like that. It was also great to have small English conversations with the same people I've been struggling to speak French words to.

The Girls
Something else I should mention is just how blessed I have been by the girls I am staying with at Envision, Leanne, Hannah, and Olivia. It really is true that you form special bonds with the people who go through the same things as you do. And being here in Africa away from friends and family these girls have become my family. I love that we get to do everything together. Whether that's working at OSPAC, helping at Hope House, washing dishes, or watching Gilmore Girls. The latter has become a sort of fun tradition we've taken up in the evenings:) I will definitely miss them and it's going to be hard to say goodbye, but hopefully it's only a short one!


It's hard to believe that I've been in Africa for over 4 weeks now and that I leave in just 12 days. Time has really flown by! I am still trying to process all that I've seen and heard, to understand everything that I've been a part of and experienced God doing. I have a feeling that even once I get back home I'll still be trying to figure it all out. But that's okay, I am thankful for each moment that I have had here.

Goodbye for now! It won't be to long before I'm home again. I miss you all!
Shannon

1 comment:

  1. Great summary of your time, Shannon. I will read this all to the kids today. They are so excited to hear all your stories when you get home! Sounds like you are experiencing some of the same feelings I had when we moved to China ages ago. Living overseas really does change your entire perspective on life, doesn't it? Love you & miss you -- Mom

    ReplyDelete