“I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.”
– Mother Teresa

Psalms 146:5-10

Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD their God. He is the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them— he remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down, the LORD loves the righteous. The LORD watches over the foreigner and sustains the fatherless and the widow, but he frustrates the ways of the wicked. The LORD reigns forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations. Praise the LORD.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Settling In

Libreville, Gabon (Africa)
Days:1-3
Life in Africa has it's similarities and differences from life back home in the states. On the surface it seems very foreign and contrary to "what I'm used to" and it would be easy to just leave it at that. I think that when we don't understand something we are much more likely to just accept our differences and not look for the similarities. And while at first it might be uncomfortable and even hard to be in a situation where you are out of what you know, if you let yourself you can learn so much! That is what I hope to do. Just because life here is different means I can't learn from it. And considering how much I'm already learning, I know there is lot more for me to learn. 

So, far things have been going great. I'm starting to fit into the way things go over here and I've gotten to go out a couple times already. I'm getting to know the others at Envision pretty well, especially Leanne and Hannah who run the Envision Center and Olivia my roommate. 

The hardest thing over here for me is the language barrier. Everyone over here speaks French, which I knew coming over here but  I just wasn't expecting how limiting it makes communicating. Fortunately, I never go out by myself so I have someone who understands what is going on or being said and can communicate with the Gabonese people. I've picked up a few phrases and I'm learning more each day. Last night we played Racko with French numbers, so I'm doing as much as I can to pick up bits of the language but there is SO MUCH!

I went to help at the medical clinic yesterday and was able to call patients, take blood pressure, and really just interact with and observe the Gabonese. I really enjoyed that. This morning we went out to the Market, I took my first taxi bus which was interesting (I guess the other people in the car were debating whether we were German or English the whole ride:). While at the market I saw a ton of bush animals for sale, so I have seen monkeys, a crocodile, my second iguana (this was a GIANT one though), rats (the ones that our like 2 feet long), porcupines you name it....of course they were all dead and cooked so I'm not sure if they count.  I did see a live iguana in our back yard two days ago and got a picture of it, but it was pretty small:) Other than that we have been getting ready for a team of 12 that is coming this evening. I have a busy week ahead and I will keep you all posted on what happens. I will also try to upload some pictures soon.

Miss you all!
Love,
Shannon

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear about your adventures -- keep it coming. I'd love to see some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour! Yes, seeing the similarities can be quite reassuring. We're so excited for you and the girls will be thrilled to be able to follow your adventures. God is good and He'll reveal to you many Wonderful things about His Kingdom through the people of Gabon. Looking forward to pics! Au revoir, mon ami!

    ReplyDelete